Diet for Hairloss
Top 5 Foods to Prevent Hair Loss – We face hair loss problems due to certain factors like genetics and illness, and no magic ingredient is available that is helpful in hair growth. For better hair growth, you need to consult your doctor’s suggestions. They will suggest some treatments and foods that will help you with hair growth and give you longer, fuller, and shiner hair.
Best Foods for Hair Growth
Hair loss can be caused due to nutritional deficiencies, and some of the foods that will help in the growth of your hair are
- 1. Egg – It helps to get the right amount of Biotin and iron in your body.
- 2. Barley – It helps hair follicles to survive by promoting blood circulation around the scalp.
- 3. Almonds – They stimulate hair growth, facilitate thick hair growth, and make the hair smoother, silkier, and stronger.
- 4. Avocado – It consists of many vital vitamins, i.e. vitamins A, B6, D, and E and provides moisture to the hair and makes the hair supple.
- 5. Guava – It contains vitamin C that produces collagen and makes the hair stronger and less brittle.
- 6. Strawberries – They have antioxidant properties and Vitamin C, which can produce collagen that makes the hair stronger and cause less hair breakage.
- 7. Mango – To increase the growth of stem cells in the body, consume this.
- 8. Salmon – generally, fish is enriched with Omega-3 fatty acids that make the hair supple.
- 9. Sunflower seeds – They are enriched with zinc, and they facilitate the stimulation of hair follicles’ recovery, support protein synthesis, and make necessary improvements in nutrient absorption.
- 10. Chia seeds – promote thick hair growth and contain Omega-3 fatty acids.
- 11. Spinach – It contains folate and iron, and it maintains the health of the hair.
- 12. Red meat consists of proteins and iron, and consuming it more gives a boost to your hair.
- 13. Beans – It facilitates proper nourishment of hair.
- 14. Fortified breakfast cereal – gives proper nutrition to hair and stimulates hair follicles.
- 15. Green peppers protect the body from oxidative stress, promote hair growth, and prevent greying.
What is the Effect of Nutritional Deficiency on Hair?
Nutritional deficiency can affect hair structure and growth of the hair. These effects include acute telogen effluvium, which causes sudden weight loss and a decrease in the level of protein and also causes diffuse alopecia, which can be found in niacin deficiency.
Whether hair loss depends on various factors depends on factors we can’t alter, like ageing and genetics, but we can regulate our diet.
Taking a properly balanced diet that is enriched with vitamins and minerals promotes better hair growth. Not consuming a proper diet that lacks the right amount of nutrients can cause hair loss.
5 Ways Food Can Contribute to Hair Loss
If some foods provide nutrition to the hair, then some foods can damage hair growth and promote hair loss. Those foods are
- 1. Greasy food
- 2. Refined carbs
- 3. Dairy
- 4. Sugar
- 5. Swordfish
- 6. Alcohol
- 7. Carbonated drinks
- 8. Nuts
What you should know About Diet and Hair Loss
Diet and hair growth are interconnected, and if we are not consuming the right amount of nutrition, then we may face hair loss. Hair loss occurs due to many factors, but diet is one of the main reasons for hair loss.
If we restrict our calorie intake, that means we are not taking proper nutrition, and that leads to telogen effluvium, a type of hair loss. It is a reversible condition that we can rectify by adopting a healthier diet and promoting hair growth.
Can Foods or Diet Causes Hair Loss?
Yes, foods can cause hair loss by consuming simple carbohydrates like sugar in excess, which includes refined sugars and grains. It may cause inflammation and aggravate hair growth.
Foods that can Worsen Hair Fall
Some of the foods that may impact negatively on hair growth are
- 1. Simple carbohydrates: avoid cakes, candy, white rice, pasta, or bread and start consuming complex carbohydrates like whole grains, beans, and vegetables.
- 2. Fish with high mercury content: fish like tuna, salmon, and cod have low mercury contents that are beneficial for your hair but fish with high mercury must be avoided..
- 3. Fried foods and red meat can cause overactivity of sebum and oil glands.
Foods Promoting Hair Health and Growth
Some of the foods that promote hair health and growth are
- 1. Protein – contains amino acids and can be found in yoghurt, beans, cheese, eggs, and fish.
- 2. Healthy fats – unsaturated fats are good for hair growth and include fatty fish, flax seeds, walnuts, and olive oil.
- 3. Vitamin C – It includes green, leafy vegetables, strawberries, and citrus fruits.
- 4. Folate is enriched with vitamin B and stimulates the rebuilding of hair; it includes peas, beets, and asparagus.
- 5. Biotin – It promotes hair growth and is found in egg yolks, sweet potatoes, sunflower seeds, and almonds.
- 6. Niacin – this ia vitamin B that boosts hair growth. Its sources include salmon, tuna, peanuts, and seeds. This can cause hair loss and is found in poultry, spinach, lentils, and white beans.
Other Hair Loss Prevention Tips
Diet is important, but there are some other practices that we must abandon.
- 1. Quit smoking
- 2. Avoid products that cause hair damage.
- 3. Do not pull your hair.
How Does a Diet Impact Hair Growth?
Alopecia is a condition where a person faces the problem of hair loss. And it can be caused by a lack of proper diet, such as a lack of nutrients and supplement use, as well as some of the nutritional deficiencies that cause hair loss that is listed below.
- 1. Micro-nutrients
- 2. Iron
- 3. Vitamin-D
- 4. Zinc
Factors that Affects Hair Growth
It is caused by many factors, like
- 1. Genetics
- 2. Hormonal dysregulation
- 3. Hypothyroidism
- 4. Trauma
- 5. Infection
- 6. Chemotherapy
Do vitamins promote hair growth?
Yes, we can use vitamins to promote hair growth, and it includes
Vitamin D: can be found in fish, mushrooms, egg yolks, and fortified milk.
Vitamin E: It can also be found in wheat germ, spinach, and almonds.
Vitamin B: can be found in whole eggs, whole grains, meat, and nuts.
Other Hair Loss Remedies
There are also some other hair loss remedies people practice, like
- 1. Avoid the use of hair gels, blow dryers, and combing the hair when it is wet.
- 2. Learn stress management skills to avoid stress.
- 3. Drinking lots of water per day
- 4. Taking a properly balanced diet
Diet and Hair Loss in Females
Foods with Biotin for hair growth
It is a water-based vitamin that cannot be restored by the body, and it must be consumed regularly to maintain an adequate level. Biotin-enriched foods are
- 1. Sweet potatoes
- 2. Bananas
- 3. Nuts and seeds.
- 4. Liver
- 5. Legumes
- 6. Broccoli
- 7. Mushrooms
- 8. Egg yolks
Hair Loss Due to Poor Diet: Will it Grow Back?
Yes, hair loss can be caused due to poor diet. It will grow back by resuming the intake of a proper diet and making yourself stress-free, and maintaining a healthy scalp as it depends upon several factors, like age and genetics.
If diet and other natural treatments do not boost your hair growth, then hair transplantation can be a safe and effective procedure to get natural hair. You can connect with Glmayo Health for expert advice or for a free consultation with our expert cosmetic surgeons. We provide our patients with a hassle-free experience. Moreover, we provide a no-cost EMI or zero-interest option, which makes the procedure affordable for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What foods help repair hair loss?
Fatty fish, leafy greens, nuts, seeds, fruits, and eggs can help in repairing your hair fall.
What are the foods that may lead to hair loss?
Sugar, greasy food, alcohol, and dairy products may lead to hair loss or hair fall.
Can hair loss be reversed through diet?
Yes, adopting healthier eating habits and lifestyles can help in reversing your hair loss.
Which food should be avoided for hair loss?
You should avoid the consumption of foods with a high level of mercury. Foods rich in mercury, such as sushi, swordfish, etc., need to be avoided.
What to avoid if you have thinning hair?
You should avoid the following things if you are having hair thinning.
- 1. Neglecting your scalp
- 2. Junk diet
- 3. Chemical hair products
- 4. Constant stress
- 5. Too tight hairstyles
What lack of vitamin causes hair loss?
The deficiency of Biotin, folate, riboflavin and vitamin B12 leads to hair fall.
Which vitamin is best for hair fall?
Iron, Biotin, Vitamin C, Zinc, and Vitamin D are best for controlling hair fall.
Which fruit is good for hair fall?
Apricot fruit is highly recommended for boosting hair growth. It has antioxidants and vitamin E that helps in controlling hair loss.
How can I thicken my hair?
Proper intake of nutrition can help in thickening your hair. Moreover, applying castor oil, coconut oil, aloe gel, etc., can also boost hair growth.
You May Also Like