What is the meaning of the Orthopedic Surgeon
Orthopedic Surgeon – The musculoskeletal system comprises all the tendons, ligaments, bones, and joints of the body. The Musculoskeletal system performed various functions, such as
- 1. It makes the framework of the body.
- 2. It supports the weight of the whole body.
- 3. It protects the internal organs of the body from damage.
- 4. It helps in the movement of the body such as moving, running, jumping, etc.
What do orthopedic surgeons do
An orthopedic surgeon performs the following duties
- 1. Diagnosis of the disease – To start with the treatment and surgery, one must get a suitable doctor for a diagnosis. This has to be done accurately with proper attention. It is always advisable to go to a well-experienced doctor for such treatment and surgeries.
- 2. Treatment and surgery- The treatment and surgery by the orthopedic surgeon need to be done with proper care and guidance.
- 3. Post-surgery consultation- Many complications could arise after the main treatment that as infection in the wound, allergy, or delay in healing of the wound due to contact with the water. This could lead to further health issues. To eliminate or minimize them it is important to regularly visit a doctor if you see any complication in the treated area or part.
Qualifications of an orthopedic surgeon
- 1. Bachelor’s degree – MBBS (it is a five-year full-time course)
- 2. Masters in Specialised subject. (orthopaedics)
- 3. Practice under some experienced doctors, in major orthopedic surgeries and treatment.
When to go to the orthopedic surgeon?
If you are suffering from the following problems you can go to the orthopedic doctor or orthopedic surgeon
- 1. Pain in the joints – If you feel pain or ache in the hip joint, shoulder joint, knee joint, etc you can go to the orthopedic surgeon.
- 2. Difficulty in movement If one feels any problem in mobility without delay should consult the doctor.
- 3. Damage to the ligaments – ligaments can be damaged due to accidents, traumas, etc.
- 4. Injury of the bones – Bones can get injured due to some accidents. Children with weak bones are more prone to such injuries. In such cases, one must contact the doctor.
- 5. Breakage of the tendon-Tendon is a connective tissue that helps in connecting the bone to muscle.
- 6. High rate of osteoporosis- Osteoporosis can be a serious issue as it degrades the calcium level in the bones, which makes them much weaker and prone to breakage.
- 7. Chronic muscle pain- Pain in the muscles could lead to many more serious problems and hence treatment is very essential for the same.
- 8. Injuries due to sports – Sports people always get such surgeries and it requires very quick and proper treatment.
- 9. Tumors in bone-tumors in bone are a big cause of concern and it is important to treat them on time because if their severity increases, then it might be difficult to treat them. As soon as the tumor size increases, it leads to more danger to the life and other organs as well.
- 10. Arthritis – Swelling in the joints is known as arthritis. There could be subcategories of the following as well, viz osteoarthritis, autoimmune inflammatory artery, infectious arthritis, gout that is also called metabolic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. The main causes of arthritis could be due to genetic issues, and nutrient deficiency in the body.
- 11. Fractures- Fractures in the bones happen due to weak bones, or some severe injury. Children have weak bones due to low calcium in their bones, hence they need to intake a good amount of calcium from sources like milk. Also, severe injuries could lead to bone fractures. Such fractures could be joined with the help of plasters, made of plaster of Paris.
Orthopedic surgeon career
The orthopedic surgeon has a bright career ahead as he deals with many
Problems like joints, muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons, etc.
Scope of the field of orthopedics.
- 1. Research and studies- Many orthopedic doctors or surgeons are in the field of research, which will be helpful for the advancement of science and technology.
- 2. Orthopedic surgeon in the hospital
Orthopedic surgery requires well-trained and experienced surgeons. In this field, there is a lot of scope for interacting with the patients and dealing with their problems and issues. Although this work could be a little challenging at the same time is a prestigious job to do.
- 1. Therapist – The physiotherapist helps the muscles and joints to enhance mobility and reduce pain. People who have difficulty in walking and moving go to a physical therapist. Their work includes massaging the affected joint or bone to help them regain mobility.
- 2. Nurse in the field of orthopedics – It requires nurses, and a whole team with the senior doctor or surgeon to help the complicated cases and surgeries.
- 3. Physician in sports medicine- Physician in the sports field is very crucial as there could be many scenarios and cases where immediate treatment is required. Sports people usually during the game can have many serious issues of bone fracture, muscle damage, ligament damage, etc.
- 4. Consultant- Some medical orthopedic problems require professional help and consultation and this one needs a consultant.
What are the top colleges in India for studying orthopedics?
Some colleges are ranked best and top rankers in India. Getting into these colleges requires hard work. You need to clear the medical entrance examination to get into these colleges.
Some of them are mentioned below:
- 1. AIIMS ( All India Institute of Medical Science)- You need to clear the AIIMS medical entrance examination.
- 2. You can get into government and private medical colleges through NEET , which is the common entrance examination.
- 3. Christian medical college, Vellore
- 4. Darbhanga medical college, Darbhanga
- 5. Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune
What job profile can you have?
- 1. You could be an orthopedic surgeon.
- 2. The field of research is available to you.
- 3. You can go into the field of physiotherapy.
- 4. You could be a professor or lecturer in college for teaching the students.
- 5. Nursing is also an option.
Requirements to become an orthopedic surgeon
- 1. One should be physically and mentally fit for facing the problem of the medical field. It is a challenging job that requires a lot of patience and knowledge.
- 2. You should be fast and accurate while making the decision. One is better at understanding and acting in the right direction to avoid any kind of mishappening.
- 3. You should be very well versed with the knowledge and skills. You have to be very perfect with practical skills and knowledge. All these things should be at your fingertips.
- 4. One should have work experience in special surgeries and with the advanced technologies and techniques.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is orthopedic surgery a good career?
Orthopaedic surgery is indeed a good career. It deals with the medical problems related to the skeletal system of our body. Orthopedic surgeon deals with diseases like shoulder replacement surgery, knee replacement surgery, hip replacement surgery, etc. It is considered one of the highest-paying jobs in India. And as it is a doctor’s job it is a very related one in India as well.
What’s a bone doctor called?
Bone’s doctor is known as an orthopedic surgeon in medical terminology. The orthopedic surgeon deals with the process of diagnosis, treatment, surgery, post-surgery process, etc. They deal with the diseases of bones, ligaments, tendons, joints, and muscles.
How strong are orthopedic surgeons?
Orthopaedic surgeons do not need to be strong. Although they need to be healthy and physically fit. With the help of modern techniques and technologies, it is now possible to start the process of surgery without much stress and complication. Advancement in science has helped a lot in the field of health care and has saved many lives throughout the world.
What do Orthopaedics deal with?
Orthopaedic surgeons mostly deal with the surgeries of diseases related to skeletal systems like bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, tendons, etc.
Can I do orthopedics after the 12th?
For being an Orthopaedic surgeon in India after the 12th, one needs to pass the medical entrance exam after the 12th to do the bachelors in medicine. Further to be a surgeon specialist in orthopedics, you need to do a masters in that field. It takes hard work to get into the studies of orthopedics. However, once you get it done, you might be able to make a successful career in this field.
Is MBBS required for orthopedics?
Yes, in India it is mandatory to have an MBBS degree for being an orthopedic surgeon. And for getting into medical studies, you are required to land in the NEET examination which is required to be cleared for getting admission in any government or private medical college.
What surgeons are needed for an orthopedic surgeon
For becoming an orthopedic surgeon one needs to study biology, chemistry, human anatomy, physiology, etc. However, there are so many other subjects as per the specialization.