Inguinal hernia is a commonly occurring condition, more common in males in comparison to females. Inguinal hernia can affect either side of the body and it can affect any age group. The following blog focus on clearing the basics of the inguinal hernia that are often misunderstood or misconception
Inguinal hernia: Let’s Get Started
Inguinal hernia is a protruding bulge that specifically grows around the groin area which is located nearly to the lower part of abdomen and the thighs. The main reason for its occurrence is known to be a weakening of the muscle in the lower abdomen.
Inguinal hernia develops as the process when intestine and abdomen wall push towards the outer layer of the abdominal wall and this forms a bulge under the skin area.
Inguinal hernia are both harmless and harmful developing on the extremities of the condition. If an inguinal hernia exceeds and becomes larger and larger in size, it can get trapped and form into a strangulated inguinal hernia.
Types of Inguinal Hernia
- 1. Direct Inguinal hernia Higher chances of getting it in adulthood. This is when the abdomen muscles get weak with time. These are seen in men.
- 2. Indirect Inguinal hernia More commonly found in men, but it can occur in both men and women. It is one of the most common hernia type that a person is probably born with. In men, it is primarily as the opening does not close at birth time, it can grow into an inguinal hernia. Whereas, in women, it is more likely a case because if the weakness found in the abdomen wall.
Facts that you must know about Inguinal hernia
Some quick facts to be aware about Inguinal hernia includes
- 1. In every 100 children, 5 are at risk of developing Inguinal hernia or are born with it.
- 2. Inguinal hernia can appear on either side of the body. It can diagnose one side or both sides.
- 3. Men are at higher risk of developing it in comparison to women.
- 4. Inguinal hernia can occur at any age
Treatment options of Inguinal Hernia
Two of the most common treatment options for Inguinal hernia are
- 1. Open Inguinal hernia surgery The traditional form of inguinal hernia repair. In this process, the surgeon makes a cut around the groin, carefully pushes back the protruding hernia and closes the cut with the help of stitches. Also, for the strengthening of the abdomen wall, mesh placement is done.
- 2. Laparoscopic Inguinal hernia surgery This is the advanced method of treating inguinal hernia. The surgeon makes a few small incisions and uses medical tools such as tiny scope with a camera attached and carefully repairs the hernia and using a mesh closes it back.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are three facts about Inguinal hernia?
Inguinal hernia is a very common condition. Quick facts of Inguinal hernia include:
- 1. More commonly develop in men in comparison to women.
- 2. Inguinal hernia does not only appear to certain age group, it can occur at any age.
- 3. In certain cases, infants may also develop inguinal hernia of which they happen to discover later in life.
What is the best treatment for inguinal hernia?
The simplest yet most effective treatment of inguinal hernia is to repair the condition through undergoing a surgical procedure. The process involves pushing back the bulge to its normal state and boosting the weakness in the abdomen wall.
What is the risk factor of inguinal hernia?
Two of the highlighting risks associated with Inguinal hernia are being male and being older. More common cases of inguinal hernia are found in males in comparison to females and though inguinal hernia can be a by birth condition but many a times are developed later in life.
Is walking OK for inguinal hernia?
Yes, walking, jogging and swimming are the most common as well as highly effective exercises that are often recommended for those dealing with inguinal hernia or any other type of hernia problem.
What is the most common inguinal hernia repair?
Mostly, surgeons carefully conduct tension free mesh inguinal hernia repair surgery. At present, this has been considered one of the safest and most preferred inguinal hernia repair procedures to get rid of this type of hernia particularly.
How to prevent Inguinal hernia?
Preventing inguinal hernia is possible with the help of these tips.
- 1. Make sure to have a balanced body weight
- 2. Increase core strength
- 3. Avoid lifting excessive weight
- 4. Quit smoking and drinking
- 5. Bring control to diabetes
What are the 2 types of Inguinal hernia surgery?
Two of the available Inguinal hernia repair surgery options are open hernia surgery and laparoscopic hernia surgery. Amongst these two, more in demand currently is laparoscopic hernia surgery because it is safer, painless, quick and overall advanced surgery.
You May Also Like