A hair transplantation is a process where a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon transfers hair to the area where hairs are thinning or to the bald area of your head. Most of the time, your doctor or surgeon transfers your hair from the back of your head to the top or front of your head. Hair transplant majorly happens through local anesthesia. Majorly, pattern baldness is responsible for huge hair loss. This is the result of genetics and there are many other factors such as illness, medications, diet, stress, and hormonal imbalance. Hair transplantation surgery.
This is a kind of surgery that transfers the hair that you already have for filling the bald area or area with thin hair. In simple terms, a hair transplant is a surgical process where one part of hair gets removed from your body (known as the donor site) to the bald area (known as the recipient site). This surgery is commonly used for restoring pubic hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, chest hair, and beard hair, and for hiding scars that have happened due to previous accidents or surgery.
Different types of Hair Transplant Surgery
There are mainly two main kinds of hair transplant which are the following:
- 1. Follicular unit extraction – is commonly abbreviated as FUE. In this procedure or surgery, your surgeon will remove the follicles from the donor area by using a tiny pouch tool. However, this procedure may cause some scars which will not be much noticeable, and the patients will majorly not require stitches.
- 2. Follicular unit strip surgery – is abbreviated as FUSS. During this procedure, a strip of skin from the donor area will be removed by the surgeon, who will then stitch up the wound. The donor skin will then be cut into tiny follicular units with one or more hair follicles using a microscope, and these units will be inserted into the appropriate area.
Appearance after hair transplant surgery
Once you have undergone the surgery, it may take some time before appearing any results. When the translated part starts recovering, then you will be able to observe or notice new changes. However, you may see that you are losing some of your hair in the first few months which is natural. Once your transplanted area gets fully recovered, then you will observe that follicles of new hair growth start to appear. Gradually, new hair will grow and will be coming to the same texture, thickness, and length as the rest of the hair. Your surgeon will use a micrograft (that can be styled, dyed, or cut as per your preference) for this procedure.
Expectations from Hair transplant
This surgery will give you permanent or long-term hair growth. However, hair follicles may get thinner with age, but they will certainly continue to produce some hair growth until your lifetime. If thinning of your hair continues, then your hairline will not be able to recede as per your former pattern of common hair loss. Your surgeon or doctor will discuss with you the length of your hair so that it will not look unnatural and patchy in the future.
When to talk to a Doctor
Whenever you feel like, you are not confident about your hair or if you feel very conscious, then you must speak to your doctor. There are different medications and medical problems which may lead to hair loss. Furthermore, you must look for a doctor or surgeon who has a specialization in hair transplantation. For this, you can consider cosmetic surgeons, dermatologists, and plastic surgeons. You can even ask your doctor for before and after pictures of the hair transplantations, they have done previously. At last, don’t forget to discuss the procedure and method that you will be going through.
You can feel free to connect with Glamyo Health coordinators for a free consultation which will help you know about the procedure, benefits, and side effects of the surgery.
Hair Transplant Scar Removal
- 1. Different types of procedures or processes can be used for decreasing the scar caused by the FUT process. Success is not assured because some scars may remain.
- 2. Remember that your scalp will begin to sag naturally as you age. This may enlarge or highlight the scar from the scalp reduction.
- 3. Another alternative may be to use the FUE technique to implant hair follicles into the FUT scar. The thickness of the scar will have an impact on how well this treatment works.
- 4. Medication may cause thinning of the scar which further makes the scar more viable in a few cases.
- 5. However, scarred skin does not always retain the grafts and healthy skin. If this operation would be beneficial for you, your doctor will be able to reduce your scars.
- 1. Removing or concealing the scars through cosmetic surgery is an alternative option that might be possible by growing the hair in the donor area. Furthermore, different kinds of scars like Keloid scars might be difficult to conceal as this kind of scar grows over a larger area than usual scars due to surgery.
- 2. These types of scars may develop month by month. If you have a keloid scar before having this surgery, then you must let your doctor be aware of it.
Hair Transplant Laser Surgery
Laser hair transplant surgery is also known as low-level laser therapy, this is a modern alternative used for different kinds of hair loss. It has been believed by researchers that this treatment may lead your hair to enter into the growth phase which is known as anagen. There are various laser devices used for this condition or treatment. For example; in hair salons and hair loss clinics, laser hair growth devices that often include a hood that fits the scalp are commonly used. Smaller laser devices like laser hair growth hats and combs are also designed that can be used on your own at home.
21 Days After Hair Transplant
- 1. You must avoid exercises, physical activities, weight lifting, and sexual contact for 1 to 2 weeks.
- 2. On the second after the surgery, you may feel or notice swallowing or swelling that may recover in 5 days.
- 3. For 10 days after the surgery, you must change the way of sleeping as this can affect the result of your overall outcome. You should sleep keeping your head elevated at 45 degrees and also use the pillow provided by your medical coordinator or staff.
- 4. It will just take 11 days to get recovery from the wound and crust present over your head.
- 5. You should also avoid high steam places for almost 21 weeks after you have undergone the surgery.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Hair Transplant
Guaranteed outcome – hair transplant surgery is a very sophisticated process that assures the growth of healthy hair and the filling of thinning and bald areas. This surgery has proven to be the most effective as its success rate is around 99% which shows that it is trustable with the best outcome.
Natural appearance – the result of this surgery provides you with a subtle and natural look. This outcome can be achieved with the use of highly advanced technologies. Our surgeons are great at executing this procedure effectively. This procedure will give you a miraculous outcome.
No need for specialized treatment – The fact that your newly transplanted hair is fully functional and entirely yours after the treatment, is one of the most fascinating aspects of the procedure. Once you complete the recovery period, then your transplanted hair will not need any particular treatment. For example, you can style, color, cut, and even brush your hair.
Surgical process – this can be a demerit because this is a surgical process that threatens most of the patients. However, you don’t have to worry because we always make sure you are comfortable and relaxed during and after the procedure.
Recovery time – this can also be a demerit of this procedure because the recovery time is very crucial as this is the time, you may have to face high irritation, infection, numbness, and scarring over the area of hair transplantation.
All these are the advantages and disadvantages of hair transplantation surgery. The major benefit is that it provides you with the best and most guaranteed results. Furthermore, if you are also conscious about your hair thinning and bald spots, then you must consult Glamyo Health coordinators. We provide personalized care to our patients.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is hair transplant surgery permanent?
Yes, if this surgery is done on a healthy scalp, then it will give you permanent results.
How successful the hair transplant surgery is?
It has been estimated that the success rate of surgery is about 90 to 95% and is known to be the most effective surgery.
Is hair transplant surgery painful?
No, this procedure doesn’t cause any pain.
How long do hair transplants stay?
Commonly, this treatment lasts permanently.
Can I shave my hair after a hair transplant?
You can not shave your hair immediately after the surgery because it is advised you not shave your doctor for at least two weeks.
What is Hair transplant Recovery Time?
After the surgery, you can return to normal work within 2 to 5 days. However, for proper recovery, it will take about 2 to 3 weeks.
You May Also Like