Stressing about hair fall? Consider seeking advanced FUT, FUE, and DHI hair transplant techniques for natural-looking hair by expert cosmetic surgeons. Now get back your confidence with a painless hair transplant procedure at no cost and at an affordable price. Read this article to get more insights on hair transplants, treatment types, cost and other facts.
What is Hair Transplant?
During a hair transplant procedure, the surgeon infuses new hair into the area of your scalp with thin or no hair. Male pattern baldness is treated with surgery, which removes hair follicles from thicker parts of the scalp or other body parts. Afterward, hair follicles are transplanted or grafted into the bald or thin scalp on the head. A local anaesthetic numbs the scalp in order to make the procedure painless. An estimated 85% of men and 40% of women suffer from hair loss, making it one of the most common conditions. Both sexes experience an increase in hair loss every year as they grow older. Depending on the severity, the condition can affect your scalp or the entire body. There are many reasons why hair can fall out, including heredity, hormonal changes, medical conditions, or aging. Men tend to lose hair more often. Hair loss can be caused by a variety of factors including diet, stress, illness, medications and hormonal imbalance.
Different Types of Hair Transplant Procedures
Broadly speaking, there are three different types of hair transplant procedures, including FUSS, FUE and DHI. Based on the baldness condition of the patient, the surgeon recommends the best suited surgery. All the advanced treatments that are used these days to perform hair transplant are explained below:
Follicular Unit Strip Surgery (FUSS): Strip surgery involves taking a strip of hair from a bald spot on the patient’s scalp under local anaesthesia. A sample of this is typically taken from the back of the head near the top of the neck and base of the scalp. An innovative trichophytic closure technique is used to stitch the skin back together. In the following step, the hair follicles/grafts are individually isolated under a high magnification from the skin strip of the patient and then each of the grafts is implanted individually in the area of hair loss. With great precision, the surgeon creates micro-incisions at certain angles and directions and transplants the individual hairs of the patient into them. In order to create natural looking hair patterns, this step is done with attention and creativity.
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE): A FUE hair transplant involves extracting each hair follicle from the donor part of your scalp. Harvested hair from different parts of the donor area is chosen, so that there isn’t any noticeable thinning. Follicles are transplanted into bald or thinning areas of the scalp then prepared for implantation. During the procedure, patients are required to shave the area of their scalp that will receive the donor hair follicles. The procedure leaves no visible scarring, making it ideal for patients with short hairstyles for those interested in having shorter hairstyles. Most patients report minimal pain after treatment, but you can expect some redness and soreness immediately following treatment.
Direct Hair Implantation (DHI): DHI procedure for hair transplant involves shaving the donor area and the back of the head. Local anaesthesia is administered to numb the scalp so that treatment can be performed painlessly. With the aid of an implanter shaped like a pen, hair follicles are removed from the donor area without harming other hair. In laboratories, hair grafts are created from these hair follicles. Afterward, the follicles are implanted again into the area where they were initially received. By implanting the hair follicles in such a way as to determine both the direction and the size of the follicles, the surgeon achieves the best outcome.
Benefits of a Hair Transplant Surgery
Hair transplantation is considered to be one of the most permanent ways to regain lost hair. Those who are suffering from severe baldness should consider this procedure. The following are some of the many benefits of hair transplantation surgery:
– 100% Safe: Hair transplantation is a completely natural and safe procedure. The chemical or medication used in hair transplantation will not damage your hair in any way. It is a completely natural procedure because the natural hair from the donor area is used to replace the lost hair in the recipient area.
– Removes Baldness: Hair transplant surgery can help you get rid of balding as it provides solutions for receding hairlines and bald spots. A patient will never experience balding or hair loss again after receiving this treatment, as it has been proven to be one of the most effective hair treatments.
– Enhanced Appearance: It is a reliable and permanent solution that can improve your hair and facial appearance in the long run. After the procedure, you will no longer feel embarrassed about your thinning, thin or nonexistent hair. It gives you a full head of hair, making you look and feel more confident.
– Easy maintenance: Transplanted hair appears natural and behaves similarly to natural hair. There is no need for special shampoos or chemicals to make hair dense. Since they are the patient’s own hair and grow naturally, they don’t require much maintenance. It is a one-time procedure that does not require any regular follow-up visits from the surgeon. The process is usually repeated after one year to obtain thicker and fuller hair.
What Happens During a Hair Transplant?
The hair transplant treatment involves three simple steps. The same are explained below in detail:
Step 1: You will receive a final explanation of how the procedure will proceed to ensure all of your goals are accomplished. Once the surgeon determines which method of utilizing the donor’s hair will be most effective, the procedure will begin.
Step 2: Local anaesthesia will be administered to numb the site of treatment by the anaesthetist. Your surgeon will then extract donor hair from a back of your head or another part of your body and place it in the relevant area.
Step 3: Upon completion of the hair restoration procedure, you may wear a cap if you wish and go home.
What Happens After a Hair Transplant Treatment ?
The goal of hair transplant surgery is to restore hair growth and restore a natural look. In order to avoid post-surgery complications, it is always advisable to have the procedure performed by an experienced cosmetic surgeon. While all precautions are taken, there is still the potential for minor side effects after the hair transplant procedure. Here are some to watch for:
- 1. Itching
- 2. Bleeding
- 3. Scalp swelling
- 4. Swelling around the eyes
- 5. Sudden loss of the transplanted hair
- 6. Lack of sensation in the transplanted area
- 7. Formation of crusts in the transplanted or donor area
- 8. Infection or inflammation of the hair follicles, known as folliculitis
What are the Complications Associated with a Hair Transplant?
During the surgery: Hair transplantation is a safe procedure that guarantees growth of new hair. The effectiveness of hair transplantation changes as new technology and techniques are introduced. It is therefore an ever-evolving procedure. Despite this, some complications may arise in the surgery – such as infection.
– Tachycardia: When adrenaline is introduced into the body through a tumescent fluid, tachycardia will occur. Patients with cardiac conditions may be at risk for this. In order to avoid such complications, physicians recommend that patients older than 40 undergo an electrocardiogram and physician assessment.
– Syncope: This is a complication commonly associated with long-term surgery. There is a possibility of the patient experiencing abnormal pain, hypotension, hydration problems, etc.
– Allergies to Local Anaesthetics: Anaesthesia may cause allergic reactions in some patients. This can result in serious complications and may even result in the termination of surgery. Therefore, it is necessary to discuss the family history of anaesthesia allergies.
– Pain: Hair transplant surgery can cause mild pain during the surgery and afterward. Blood loss, wound tension, and insufficient anaesthesia are all factors that may lead to pain.
After the surgery: Hair transplants are a safe procedure that offers excellent results for people who want to have a natural hairstyle. You must select a surgeon with experience and a demonstrated history of successfully performing hair transplant procedures. Nonetheless, just like any other surgical procedure, hair transplantation is not without risks and complications. The likelihood of any complications is usually dependent on the patient’s condition and the surgeon’s experience. There may be both short-term and long-term complications. Among them are:
– Bleeding: A certain amount of post-surgery bleeding is quite normal, and usually goes away within a couple of days. Sometimes, however, the bleeding persists for a few days. If you experience abnormal bleeding after surgery, contact your physician immediately.
– Infection: After the surgery, the scalp remains extremely sensitive and susceptible to infection. It is important to avoid heat, sweat, and any dirt and dust. Your doctor may prescribe antibiotics if you develop an infection.
– Cyst formation: The hair follicles usually implanted during hair transplant surgery can damage the scalp’s surface, resulting in the development of small cysts (not always cancerous) on the scalp. It is common for patients to suffer from such complications as a result of the surgeon’s inexperience. It is therefore imperative to choose a surgeon who is knowledgeable and experienced in handling the procedure successfully.
– Hair curl: The curled under-scalp growth of transplanted hair follicles is a long-term outcome of the surgery. As a result, the patients might look unnatural, and in some cases, may also become infected.
– Affected Laxity of the Scalp: Hair transplants are major surgeries that can affect your scalp in the long run and can contribute to increased laxity of the scalp. The procedure occurs more often during Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) than Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE).
What is the long-term outlook of Hair Transplant Surgery?
Within 3-8 weeks after the surgery, the long-term effects of the treatment will become apparent. Hair follicles transplanted to the scalp will fall off and be replaced by natural new hair. The scalp may sprout thin, new hair, similar to that of a newborn baby. Once your hair starts to grow in its natural style, you will notice its natural quality and texture.
Hair Transplant for Women
Women, who qualify for hair transplant surgery, make up a very small percentage of patients. It is estimated that approximately 2% to 5% of women suffering from hair loss benefit from this type of procedure. They are:
- 1. Women who suffer from mechanical or traction alopecia (nonhormonal) hair loss.
- 2. Incisions around the incision sites may cause hair loss in women who have previously undergone cosmetic or plastic surgery.
- 3. Females with a distinctive pattern of baldness, similar to male pattern baldness.
- 4. Hair loss in women can also be caused by trauma, including burn victims, scars from accidents, and chemical burns.
- 5. Women who suffer from traction alopecia, a very similar condition to alopecia marginalis.
Why choose Glamyo Health for Hair Transplant?
Glamyo Health is a multi-specialty healthcare service provider which offers technology-driven personalized assistance and 24*7 care. Hair transplant treatment with Glamyo Health is an effective, safe and advanced procedure that involves minimal pain, negligible risks and minute discomfort. The hair transplant treatment offered by Glamyo Health is highly advanced, yet affordable. The additional benefits offered by Glamyo Health includes free pick-up and drop facility, zero cost EMI, cashless treatment option, etc. Since the major USP of Glamyo Health is to offer seamless treatment experience to the patients, it provides a single point of contact to sort all healthcare hassles starting from booking a consultation with an expert surgeon to handling all the admission, discharge and insurance hassles and post-surgery follow-ups.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is hair transplant safe?
When performed by a qualified, experienced board-certified plastic surgeon, hair transplant surgery is generally safe. However, a person’s physical reaction and ability to heal differ greatly, and the outcome is never completely predictable. The patient may or may not develop an infection as a result of the surgery.
How long do hair transplants last?
A hair transplant procedure performed by an experienced, trained specialist can last a lifetime. This is because predispositions to hair loss originate from within the follicles, not on the scalp.
Is hair transplant permanent?
A hair transplant is considered permanent because the procedure cannot be reversed. However, the look of your hair transplant after it heals doesn’t necessarily correspond to the way it will look for the rest of your life.
What is the success rate of hair transplant?
Hair transplants usually have a success rate of 90-95%. It essentially means that the transplanted hair should remain healthy after being transplanted.
Can hair transplant regrow hair?
Within 3 to 4 months after hair transplantation, approximately 10 to 20% of new hair grows. Over the next six months, you should see about 50% hair growth following a hair transplant. After 8 to 9 months, you can expect to see 80% results. After a hair transplant is successful, 100% of the results will be seen after 9 to 12 months.
Which age is best for hair transplant?
Although anyone over the age of 18 can have a hair transplant, it is recommended not to have a transplant until at least 25. Since the pattern of male hair loss has not yet been established for younger men, they may not be the best candidates.
Is hair transplant painful?
A hair transplant is not painful thanks to local anaesthesia and post-operative pain medication. Despite the fact that no surgery is painless, and some brief and probably temporary discomfort is inevitable, a hair transplant is generally a pleasant experience for most hair loss sufferers.