What is a kidney stone?
Kidney stones are hard crystals of minerals and salts that accumulate in the kidney. These kidney stones can badly affect your body. Kidney stones (Kidney Stone Test) are formed due to excessive amounts of matter like oxalate, calcium & uric acid in the urine. Well, some causes and risk factors can lead to the problem of kidney stones. Some of them are
- 1. Family medical history
- 2. Problem of dehydration
- 3. Intake of an unhealthy diet
- 4. The weight gain problem( obesity)
- 5. Other problems, such as digestive problems
- 6. Urinary tract blockage
- 7. Medical conditions (Hypercalciuria, High BP, Diabetes, Obesity, osteoporosis, kidney cysts, parathyroid disease, etc.)
Here are some symptoms that one will notice due to kidney stone
- 1. Pain in the back
- 2. Blood in the urine appearance
- 3. Nausea and Vomiting
- 4. Pain while urinating
- 5. Fever
If you observe any of these symptoms mentioned here, you should consult a doctor for diagnosis and further treatment. The doctor suggests a practical test.
The preliminary diagnosis test of kidney stones is as follows.
- 1. Imaging Test = The imaging tests are done to diagnose kidney stones.CT scan, X-Ray, and ultrasound are some of the tests done.
- 2. Blood Test = Blood tests can help to diagnose many problems along with kidney stones. It can help the doctor know about your type of kidney stone.
- 3. Urine Test = Urine Test is done to examine the problem of infection that can later lead to kidney stone problems.
- 4. Analysis of passed kidney stones = Other than this, kidney stones excreted out of the body through urine is also examined.
What are the treatment options available for kidney stone removal?
There are so many types of treatment available. But it is suggested to go with the Test as per the doctor’s advice. Medications can help you if the condition is not severe. But it can not treat the illness permanently. This can help you to give relieve the pain. There are four types of surgery options available.
- 1. Ureteroscopy = This surgery is done with the help of an instrument called a ureteroscope. This is inserted into the urethra into the ureter. Then the kidney stones are retrieved and broken down with the help of a laser. Then the tiny broken pieces are removed from the body through urine.
- 2. Shockwave lithotripsy = This procedure is done with the shockwave technique, as the name suggests. This therapy is done to break the stones into smaller chunks.
- 3. Nephrolithotomy = This procedure is used to break larger stones into smaller pieces.
- 4. Open surgery = This is done by doing a large incision, and this surgery is not usually used.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What are the ways to prevent kidney stones?
Drinking a lot of water, limiting the intake of salt in your diet, maintaining weight etc., can help you prevent the problem of kidney stones.
Q2. What are the types of kidney stones?
Many kidney stones include calcium, struvite, uric acid stones, and cystine stones.
Q3. Can a blood test detect kidney stones?
Yes, blood tests can detect kidney stones problem. It can help doctors to diagnose the type of kidney stone you have.
Q4. What are the 3 signs of kidney stones?
The main signs of kidney stones are a pain in the lower back, blood in the urine, and pain while urinating.in such symptoms, it is highly recommended to go to the doctor for a checkup and consultation.