A cataract is a clouded spot in the lens of your eyes. It occurs when protein builds up in the body, further decreasing vision and leading to vision impairment if kept untreated. Moreover, cataracts generally happen gradually and can impact one or both eyes. The symptoms of a cataract may entail double vision, blurry vision, faded colors, difficulty with bright light, halos around light, and difficulties in seeing at night. Let’s know about the treatment of cataracts in Ayurveda.
Cataract in Ayurveda is known as Linga Nasha or Timira. It is considered, that Aggravated Vata is mainly responsible for this condition. When your eyes or lens lose the ability to see or your vision gets blocked. Then a property of Aggravated Vata dries up the things, so this condition is called a cataract.
Moreover, Ayurveda can offer you invaluable support for cataract management and for treating it naturally. Ayurveda treatment aims to aggravate body energies and strengthen and nourish the nerves and tissue of the eye.
- 1. Ayurveda typically recommends Maha Triphala Ghrita as a therapy for cataracts. While ghee is known to calm the overactive Vata, Triphala nourishes and fortifies the eyeball’s nerves and other structures.
- 2. The Ayurvedic external preparation called Chandrodaya Varti is used to treat cataracts. The eyes might be treated with it. Its moderate irritant nature causes lacrimation in the eyes, which enhances blood flow.
- 3. In the evening, consume Triphala choorna along with a glass of water. For 12 hours, cover and set away. Use this filtrate to clean your eyes and consume it internally.
Herbal Remedies for Cataracts
While taking Ayurveda treatment you should also follow some home remedies for curing or treating eye diseases like cataracts.
- 1. Boil 1 tsp of Triphala powder and have it at night before sleeping.
- 2. The second and most effective remedy, mix 100g of coriander (dhania), 10g of dark pepper, 100g of fennel, and 100g of almond, and then take one tsp with a drain before sleeping. You can also add some sugar if don’t have diabetes.
Ayurvedic Medicines for Cataract
Cataracts can harm a person’s quality of life since they make them dependent on others for even the most basic tasks. Delaying the treatment might also have social and psychological repercussions, albeit indirectly. The following medications are recommended by Ayurvedic practitioners to quickly treat cataracts:
Maha Triphala Ghrita
Triphala is beneficial for strengthening and nourishing tissues and nerves of the eyes on the other hand ghee helps in stabilizing the aggravated Vata. Thus, this is the foremost medicine recommended by doctors for getting away from cataracts.
This powdered mixture aids in decreasing Vata dosha and removing harmful poisons from the body. This mixture can be used externally to wipe the eyes and internally to drink. To consume, combine 1 tablespoon of this combination with a glass of water, cover, and let sit for 12 hours.
Amla juice is the key ingredient in this medication. This is the greatest ayurvedic treatment that can significantly improve vision in cataract patients, according to ayurvedic specialists. This medication’s antioxidant characteristics aid in the removal of harmful pollutants from the body, which enhances vision. Take this medication twice daily after meals by combining equal amounts of this juice and water.
These capsules, which are made from the herb bilberry, are rich in antioxidants and also help to improve blood circulation all over the body. The eyesight also gets better as the blood flow inside the eyes gets better. Additionally, this medication has no side effects, which makes it more popular with Ayurvedic medical professionals. After meals, add 2 capsules with milk or water.
For treating advanced stages of cataracts, Chandrodaya Varti is advised. The patient is instructed to apply a mixture created from this remedy to their eyes for a few minutes. When you apply it to your eyes, it promotes blood flow and aids in dissolving the protein which has been a buildup in your lenses.
These capsules, which are made of Amla extract, are enriched with vitamins, an important nutrient for eye health. Additionally, because of this medication’s anti-aging properties, doctors recommend it to treat cataracts brought on by aging.
Ayurvedic Tips to Prevent Cataracts
Ayurveda not only helps in treating or curing cataracts but also provides lifestyle tips that can help in reducing the chances of cataracts. Following are some tips that you must follow:
- 1. You must include the intake of ghee in your regular diet. Consume one teaspoon of ghee regularly as it helps in maintaining the functions of the vascular system.
- 2. You must avoid foods like pickles, sauce, black coffee, strong tea, etc., as well as other meals that are sour or bitter.
- 3. Ayurvedic medical professionals advise cataract patients to have enough intake of dairy products to stop their condition from getting worse.
- 4. Include fenugreek seeds while making or cooking food.
- 5. Start having an intake of vitamin E-rich foods like spinach, almonds, and sunflower seeds in your diet.
- 6. To obtain enough vitamin C, eat fruits like oranges, apples, pomegranates, and bananas.
- 7. Keep yourself away from harmful chemicals like infrared rays and X-rays.
Difference between traditional and laser cataract surgery
Modern or advanced cataract surgery is a very general and safe procedure that is being performed today. Both methodology and technology help in improving every new advancement. But it is difficult to know the type of surgery with the advanced eye technology, practices, and techniques. Let’s know about laser surgery and cataract surgery.
Laser Cataract Surgery
- 1. One of the modern technology in this condition combines 3D technology and imaging for cataract removal.
- 2. During laser cataract treatment, your surgeon will make a customized plan for the surgery with 3D imaging of the image of your eye. This technology allows your surgeon to precisely map the unique factors or characteristics of the eye and cataracts.
- 3. For this condition, the doctor or surgeon will use a femtosecond laser for making an opening in the front part of the lens. Your surgeon will use a laser for breaking the cloudy lens instead of manual equipment.
- 4. After then, the lens will be sucked through making a small cut or incision inside the cornea. At last, your lens will be replaced with an intraocular lens as per your needs.
- 5. Laser cataracts will provide you with the same result as traditional cataract surgery. However, the only difference it has is tools and procedures.
Traditional Cataract Surgery
- 1. The process of traditional cataract surgery entails making a small cut near the cornea for removing the cataract or clouded lens.
- 2. In this procedure, a phacoemulsification laser is used for breaking the clouded lens so that it can be easily sucked out.
- 3. An intraocular lens will be placed to replace the natural lens once the cataract has been removed. Without the use of sutures, the cut eye tissue at the site of the first incision heals spontaneously.
- 4. The technology utilized in traditional and laser cataract surgery is one of the key differences. To make the incisions and remove the lens during traditional cataract surgery, portable equipment like a blade and forceps are used.
Cataract treatment with Ayurveda is a slow process whereas treating this condition with laser surgery is quite faster. You can connect with Glamyo Health for laser surgery or treatment of cataracts. We provide free consultations to our patients and also provide various options like cashless treatment, No cost EMI, less paperwork, and a hassle-free experience which helps in easing the treatment process for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Ayurveda cure cataracts completely?
Yes, Ayurveda can treat cataracts by root and can improve overall eye health with herbal medications.
What is the best herbal medicine for cataracts?
The consumption of bilberry as per a doctor’s prescription can help you treat cataracts because it is rich in antioxidants.
Can vitamin D reverse cataracts?
Yes, vitamin D can resolve cataracts if is an early stage cataracts.
Can Patanjali Drishti cure cataract?
Consistent use of Patanjali Drishti can help in resolving eye conditions like cataracts.
Can Triphala cure cataracts?
Yes, Triphala is very effective as it works amazingly for treating eye problems.
Is turmeric good for cataracts?
Yes, turmeric is good for the eyes but you must consult your doctor.
Which Ayurvedic medicine is best for eyesight?
Ginkgo Biloba is considered to be the most effective Ayurveda medicine for vision and is found in different parts of China.