A cataract is a clouded area in the lens of your eyes. It happens when protein builds up in the body, which further impairs eyesight and, if left untreated, can even cause blindness. It mostly happens to older age people. Through cataract surgery, cataracts can be corrected or even help in curing this condition.

In more detail, the eye of a human has a natural lens and is commonly called a crystalline lens. A cataract refers to a defect in a vision that may decrease the ability to see at night or in dark places. This condition reduces the ability to see because of the cloudiness over the lens.

The cost of cataract surgery is about 20,000 to 120,000 INR in India. However, the costs of this condition differ with the type of procedure used and the choice of the hospital. 

Costs and Types of Cataract Surgery

Phacoemulsification cataract surgery

This procedure or surgery is done by giving anesthesia before cutting and it takes only an hour to complete the surgery. The incision is made during the surgery which is less than 4mm near the cornea. Cataract gets broken down into tiny pieces so that cataracts can be removed easily and then sucked out using a tube. After this, your surgeon will place an artificial lens that is made of silicone, acrylic, or plastic. Since it is conventional cataract surgery, its cost is about 40,000 per eye.

Extracapsular cataract surgery

In this procedure, an incision or cut is larger than in other cataract surgeries or procedures where it takes a longer recovery period than other surgeries. During this surgery, your eye will be numbed with the help of anesthesia but the patient remains awake during the entire procedure. The cut made will be about 12mm near the cornea as it eases the process for the surgeon for removing the cloudy lens. After then, your surgeon will insert an artificial lens which further helps in providing clear vision. The costs of this surgery differ from 40,000 to 60,000 INR. Furthermore, it also depends on the components used during the surgery.

Another most effective surgery is “Bladeless cataract surgery”

This procedure is done with no incision or cut. This is also known as a “femtosecond laser” which is beneficial in dissolving cataracts. This is an evolution that helps in eliminating human error during cataract surgery. This type of surgery is faster than conventional surgeries. A machine named “optical coherence tomography” is used during the procedure, which provides a clear and proper image of the eye in 3-D, which further helps complete surgery. The cost of this surgery is around 95,000 to 1,20,000 INR. 

Factors Affecting Cataract Surgery Cost in India

Many factors affect or influence the price or cost of this procedure in India which are the following:

  • 1. The cost or expenses of cataract surgery depends upon the city or location of the hospital.
  • 2. Technology is another factor. For example, if your selected hospital is providing all the advanced technology and using the latest types of equipment then they may charge more compared to other hospitals.
  • 3. Differences in the type of procedure such as non-standard procedures and minimally invasive surgery can also make a price difference.
  • 4. Aftercare facilities or services can increase the prices of cataract surgery. For example, if a hospital provides you with aftercare service, then they may charge more. However, you will have the choice of opting for aftercare or not.

Cost of different components of Cataract Surgery in Delhi?

The cataract surgery price involves various components that will be used in the surgery or procedure. Following are the costs of every component needed during cataract surgery:

  • 1. Surgery cost is about 23,000 to 26,250 INR
  • 2. Lens cost may require 6,000 INR for monofocal which may need about 10,000 INR for multifocal.
  • 3. The pre-procedure cost will cost about 3,000 INR. This also includes screening tests.
  • 4. Post-surgery cost is also about 3,000 INR, this may include antibiotics and glasses or spectacles, and follow-ups by the consultants. You will have the option, for example, if you don’t want after-surgery services, then this cost will be deducted from the total cost. But, if you get your surgery done with Glamyo Health, then you will not have to pay for after-surgery services. We provide free consultancy and after-surgery facilities.
  • 5. Daycare will need about 3,000 INR.

Cataract Surgery Cost in Persons with Insurance

Cataract surgery easily gets covered under medical or health insurance. You can even take a selected plan, especially for cataract surgery. Glamyo Health provides cashless treatment for people with insurance where you will have to provide general details of your insurer and fill the pre-auth form, then the rest of the hassles will be handled by us. We consider your health or well-being as our topmost priorities. You can get a free consultation at Glamyo Health which will make you aware of the procedure and surgery.

Persons with No Insurance

If you don’t have insurance then the cost of surgery may vary in New Delhi between 15,000 to 1,50,000 INR for one eye. This cost is very high but, Glamyo Health can provide you with a no-cost EMI option which is beneficial in easing the cataract procedure.

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does it cost to have one cataract removed?

The cost of cataract eye surgery is about 40,000 INR in India. However, the cost may vary from hospital to hospital. Furthermore, it depends on the type of cataract surgery chosen. 

What is the cost of cataract treatment or surgery in India?

The estimated price of cataract treatment is around 20,000 to 1,20,000 INR in India but it may differ with location, hospital, procedure, or equipment used.

How many years does cataract surgery last?

Cataract surgery will last for a lifetime.

Does laser cataract surgery cover by Medicare in 2022?

Yes, Medicare covers almost 80% of all types of medicare- approved expenses like cataract surgery. The remaining 20% will be required to be paid by you.

Does Medicare cover cataract surgery 100%?

Medicare usually covers 80% of the overall cost but you may also cover the remaining 20% by using medicare supplement plans such as Medigap.

Related Post

Eye Anatomy Cataract Treatment Types and Benefits
Cataract Eye Treatment in Chennai
Reasons for the Development of Cataract Can you get Rid of Cataract Naturally
Cataract Surgery Methods and Risks Intraocular Lens Types of Cataract Surgery
Best Eye Exercises to Improve Vision Fast How to Prevent Cataracts at any Age
Book Now